Re: [Evolution] Evolution online/offline state

On Tue, 2002-12-03 at 09:44, Alex Viskovatoff wrote:
On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 22:59, Not Zed wrote:
On Tue, 2002-12-03 at 01:07, Daniel Eriksson wrote:
I use Evolution on my modem connected
computer. My problem is that the online/offline
state in Evolution doesn't reflect the real
online/offline state of my computer. This can of
course easily be solved by me clicking the
online/offline button in Evolution every time i
connect/disconnect to Internet. I have a proposal
for a better solution though, just wanted to know
what everybody else thinks about it.

The solution is very easy. I would need a checkbox
in the Evolution settings named something like
"display annoying messages when no network found"
(or maybe the negated version "silently discard
network errors").

No its not really that easy at all.  You can't just hide all errors
because you dont know which are network errors and which are something
else entirely.  For example, the error messages from local mailboxes
such as 'out of disk space' are a bit more important, but currently
they
just use the same error codes.

I suggest you just learn to click offline, that is what its there for.

Another solution has been proposed on this list before: make Evolution
respond to certain types of signals sent to it by another process by
going on/off line (perhaps letting that process know when the change of
state has completed). If Evolution had this feature, then the program
that makes the computer go on/off line could do the same to Evolution.

This is a very obvious feature. As things stand, when one wants to get
off the Internet if one has a PPP connection, one has to manually set
Evolution to offline mode. But making things happen automatically is
what computers are for.

A remote control feature similar to Mozilla's would be nice.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)