Re: [Evolution] Comments on Evolution 1.2

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 11:48:37AM +1030, Not Zed wrote:
On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 07:11, Russell Stuart wrote:
- Read receipts (aka Disposition Notifications).  Obviously you guys
  don't consider them important, this being the second major release
  and they are still not there.  I do - enough to spend a pleasant
  hour or so going through the source finding a way to turn them on
  permanently.  I suspect a lot of others in corporate environments
  like mine place the same importance on them I do.  Its not like its
  hard.

There is no standard for implementing this.  It wouldn't be much use
adding it if most mailers dont support it and subseqeuntly it doesn't
work for most users.

There are 2 RFCs. RFC2298 is for UAs so the UA must handle generation and
reception of all the relevant header data (request and response).  RFC1894
is for MTAs. The UA generates only the request. The MTA generates the
response. Dr. QMail dismisses rfc1894 as entirely obsolete. DJBernstien
has his own method but, AFAIK, he didn't write an RFC, so chances of a
standard emerging from 'The QMail Way' are somehwat difficult to
prognosticate. RFC2298 implementation by evolution would make return
receipt exchange bewteen many UAs possible. Mutt, however, has not yet
done it and I've been too lazy to contribute the patch to the mutt
project. But I did code an assemblance/resemblance of this RFC2298 feature for
a proprietary product called the Lotus Messaging Switch. Unfortunately,
IBM sunset the product in it's infinate wisdom.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1894.txt
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2298.txt

RFC 2298 -- Message Disposition Notification

An Extensible Message Format
for Message Disposition Notifications

Status of this Memo

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for the
Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements. Please refer to the current edition of the "Internet
Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

Copyright Notice

Copyright (C) The Internet Society (1998). All Rights Reserved.

Abstract

This memo defines a MIME content-type that may be used by a mail user
agent (UA) or electronic mail gateway to report the disposition of a
message after it has been sucessfully delivered to a recipient. This
content-type is intended to be machine-processable. Additional message
headers are also defined to permit Message Disposition Notifications
(MDNs) to be requested by the sender of a message. The purpose is to
extend Internet Mail to support functionality often found in other
messaging systems, such as X.400 and the proprietary "LAN-based"
systems, and often referred to as "read receipts," "acknowledgements,"
or "receipt notifications." The intention is to do this while
respecting the privacy concerns that have often been expressed when
such functions have been discussed in the past.

Because many messages are sent between the Internet and other
messaging systems (such as X.400 or the proprietary "LAN-based"
systems), the MDN protocol is designed to be useful in a multi-
protocol messaging environment. To this end, the protocol described in
this memo provides for the carriage of "foreign" addresses, in
addition to those normally used in Internet Mail. Additional
attributes may also be defined to support "tunneling" of foreign
notifications through Internet Mail.

Supported by:

          Pegasus
          Notes