Re: [Evolution] LDAP Address Book Setup

tor, 2002-08-15 kl. 09:15 skrev Anders Näslund:

i can agree on number 1 issue.
The rest...have no idea what You talk about.

I guess you'd have to be a Unix sysadmin responsible for configuring and
running his own ldap server to understand that :-)

I use an LDAP server (our company MS Exchange 5.5 to be exact) to do all
my look-ups. If I click the LDAP entry in the sidebar, I get the same
look and feel (and function) as my local contacts.

That's all right with your MS Exchange server. But Ximian has made
add-ons for Unix and Netscape/iPlanet-based directory servers that only
partly work.

Furthermore, any specific Unix openldap stuff (called a "schema") is
only available to people who compile their own sources; no-one else is
told about it. Without it, half the functionality of Evolution isn't
available on Unix ldap servers.

What doesn't work is what I said: Encrypted server connections (because
admin users can carry out limited HR administration over the network
with Evo and no-one should "sniff" what they're doing), and contact
lists. These don't work on Unix ldap servers.

What else do You need??

Just the above ...

Bästa h.,

Tonni

--

Tony Earnshaw

The usefulness of RTFM is vastly overrated.

e-post:         tonni billy demon nl
www:            http://www.billy.demon.nl
gpg public key: http://www.billy.demon.nl/tonni.armor

Telefoon:       (+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:         (+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG Fingerprint = 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981
3BE7B981