[Evolution] Reducing size of mbox files

Give me some advise--
evo v 1.08.99...

Problem 1:

My mailboxes are growing to such size that I felt the need to
cut them back a bit. I went into the Blocked folder for an easy start,
made a backup copy of all the files in my evolution/local/Blocked
directory, and bzip2'd the daylights out the copies. I then went into
evolution and deleted and expunged the 2k or so messages there, hoping
to recover some of that 30meg of data or so. No such luck, not a byte of
difference. But, I did leave a few messages in there, so I even deleted
those. Then, the mbox size dropped from 16 meg to 0. But the .ibex is
still at 14meg! I guess the only remedy is to delete the folder?

Problem 2:

Maybe because of lack of space, but I think not: I'm trying to expunge
deleted messages from my Inbox. When I do, while "storing", I get the
dialog:

Error while 'Expunging folder':
Summary and folder mismatch, even after a sync
<OK>

Any suggested fix?

murf