Re: [Evolution] Resent mail?

Eric:

  Quite right. Of course, you can just reply, or copy&paste. I'll file a bug on the "Edit as New" issue though, because, frankly, you're entirely right. It makes little or no sense.

Aaron.

On Tue, 2001-09-25 at 21:22, Eric Lambart wrote:
On Tue, 2001-09-25 at 17:56, Aaron Weber wrote:
> If I recall correctly from previous discussion of this issue, it was
> decided not to include the featire commonly known as  "Bounce" or
> "Resend," because it was just too similar to plain-old-forwarding, and
> was considered by many to be a violation of principle, as it led to
> confusion as to who had actually sent the message.

Yes, that's fine.  But that means that messages sent from Evolution must
be recognized as such even when moved into another folder, so the user
who sent the message may send it again.  I'll bet this is what the
original poster was looking for.  This is a usability issue.  Ideally,
no one should have to ask such a question.

The reasoning which lead to the creation of the "Edit as New Message"
feature for the Sent folder must, by logical extension, be applied to
any sent message in any folder.

If implementing that is too complex, then users should be allowed to
"Edit as New" any message in any folder, though I'd say this is not
ideal.  In any case, any notion of a "violation of principle" is, IMHO,
taking principles a bit too far anyway, since obviously anyone may
Forward Inline and remove the headers indicating who the message
originally came from.

However, if it's just an issue of reducing confusion for novice users,
not restricting "improper" activities that can't in any case be
prevented, I'd agree it's a reasonable idea.  But I for one am tired of
having to re-move messages to the Sent folder just so I can edit them
"As New" and them move them back to the folder where they belong. Just
for fun, I took your (Aaron's) message, moved it to my Sent folder, and
had no trouble committing the crime of editing it "As New".  I just
didn't send it ;)

--Eric

--
"The only thing I remember about the last two months is giving a guest
lecture at Villanova."