Re: [Evolution] pgp unusable?

On Thu, 2001-11-29 at 22:39, Thomas O'Dowd wrote:

Evolution currently has problems verifying inline PGP signed messages
from mailers when they are qp'd by a gateway along the way. Mutt doesn't
have that problem so I'm suggesting being liberal (as it is inline pgp
anyway) and unencode first then verify which is what other mailers seem to do.

We *do* decode the text before trying to verify the signature.

With regards to sending 8bit signed inline pgp emails, I haven't tested
what is the best thing to do yet, but it looks like sign and then qp
is what will work with most email clients. I'm sure there are loads
of people who'll appreciate it if we get this working with the big
email clients. I don't have direct access to other windows clients but
I'll hand create some test emails to friends and see what works.

Based on the fact that you thought evolution *didn't* decode the text
before verifying, when it actually does - I assume that the correct way
is actually the opposite of what you say ;-)

here we are again at the "who's right and who's wrong?" argument. It's a
guessing game, like I already said. And you can never win guessing
games. Period.

If you want this feature, send me a patch. This way if it doesn't always
work, no one can point the finger at me. I don't want to deal with it.
PGP/MIME has gotten enough complaints because other mailers didn't do
*it* right, do you really think that they can all get in-line pgp right
if they can't get PGP/MIME right? Didn't think so.

I declare this the end of the thread, any further emails will be
redirected to /dev/null

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast