Re: [Evolution] pgp unusable?

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 03:33:32PM -0500, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:

In-line pgp mode is a broken way to do it - so many things can go
"wrong". Should I first QP/Base64 encode the text before signing? or
should I do it afterward? Do I From-escape before? afterward? ever? Do I
CRLF encode before signing?

Sure, its broken but everyone does it. I've had to do it for ages now
because my windows loving friends have too much trouble reading the
standard. Anyway, I don't quite see the problems that you see with
implementing it at least not with pgp. I've never used gpg so I don't
know about it. Here are some answers to your questions.

to just encrypt

 mailtext | pgp +verbose=0 +encrypttoself +batchmode -feat RECEIVERS

or to sign and encrypt

 mailtext | pgp +verbose=0 +encrypttoself +batchmode -feast RECEIVERS

If you do this then, it will sign, encrypt, handle the line feeds and
encode everything in the correct order. About From escaping, why would
you ever do it in a client? It is only a storage requirement for mbox
mail spools. If you are talking about archival in the sent folder, then
you never have to worry about that with PGP encrypted text as you won't
find the combo "^From " in the encoded text.

Regards,

Tom.
--
Thomas O'Dowd. - Nooping - http://nooper.com