Re: [Evolution] pgp unusable?

On Thu, 2001-11-29 at 21:27, Thomas O'Dowd wrote:
On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 08:33:42PM -0500, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
On Thu, 2001-11-29 at 20:15, Thomas O'Dowd wrote:
It takes care of escaping the "^From " for you so you don't have to
worry about it.

That's nice, but it doesn't take care of QP encoding it and I'm not too
sure that it CRLF encodes it either.

Hi Jeff,

the -t option on pgp takes care of the crlf issue for you. With respect
to the quoted printable, you sign first, then if you want everything 7bit
clean you qp it. The receiving mailers will unqp it first if the header is
there. Unfortunately for evolution, you don't do this so the signature
won't validate. I would argue that evolution is wrong in this case. You
might argue that this is exactly the problem with one mailer doing this
and the other mailer doing something else, but I think this is the only
rule that actually makes sense. (ie, unqp and then validate or sign and
then qp depending on which way you are going)

Take the example where your mta server accepts 8bit and the mailer
pgp signs your message leaving it as 8bit. If it goes 8bit all the
way to the receiver there is no problem. Then, there is the problem
where an intermediatory mta will decide to translate your 8bit mail
to qp. This is pretty normal, it will add the quoted-printable header
and your mailer will recieve the mail. If they don't unqp it first
then pgp won't validate, which is why the majority of mailers handling
inline pgp, unqp first before passing it to pgp for validation. I
think evolution is doing the wrong thing here.

You might try reading rfc2015 before saying Evolution does the wrong
thing, rfc2015 (PGP/MIME) specifies that the client MUST QP/Base64
encode the content before signing.

So no, we are not wrong at all.

Jeff

Tom.