Re: [Evolution] Return receipts

        * Return receipts are not a standard feature of internet mail.

Please refer to RFCs 1891 and 2298.

Huh. I was aware of 1891, but that's not our problem since it only
pertains to mail transports, not mail readers. I hadn't noticed 2298.

Still, the point about pointing out to the user that the return receipt
request isn't reliable still holds.

    So we would have to add a dialog asking if it's ok to send a return
This is also covered in 2298.

Right, just wanted to make sure anyone planning to write a patch was
going to write this part too. :-)

        * You need to keep track of when the user has already sent a
          return receipt. In particular, if you read the message via
          IMAP on two different machines, it should not ask you about
          sending a return receipt the second time.

Actually, I believe it should.  The MDN includes optional information about
the MUA so perhaps you should be sending a read receipt multiple times.  I
didn't read the RFC in any great detail last night (too busy watching Evo hang
sending e-mail :-(), but I expect that issue to be covered too.

(The hanging problem is fixed in the snapshots which will go out in an
hour or so.)

Anyway, 2298 says:

   At most one MDN may be issued on behalf of each particular recipient
   by their user agent.  That is, once an MDN has been issued on behalf
   of a recipient, no further MDNs may be issued on behalf of that
   recipient, even if another disposition is performed on the message.

which uselessly assumes that every user has exactly one MUA. :-/ But
anyway, the intent still seems to be "send only one MDN". And I think it
would get annoying fast if you got another MDN every time I looked at a
message you sent me.

I don't expect either to make it into 1.0

"Duh" :-)

-- Dan