Re: [Evolution] Timezones and pilot sync

On Sun, 2001-11-11 at 19:20, Richard Zach wrote:
So I just added some intercontinental flights into my calendar (with
timezones set), and then synced with my Visor.  As I expected, the
flights show up on the Palm with the times local to MST.  But really,
since the Palm Datebook doesn't have timezone support, they should get
stored on the Palm as floating appointments in local time, should they
not?  For instance, if my flight leaves Tokyo at 7pm, I want my Palm
appointment to say 7pm, not 3am.  When I'll be in Tokyo and want to
check when my flight is, I don't want to have to convert the times back
and forth.  I could, of course, just not add the timezone info, but that
would be (a) not elegant, (b) wouldn't show the length of the flight,
and (c) can't deal with flights that arrive "before" they leave (eg, dep
Narita 7pm, arrive SFO 11:05am the same day).

JPR, what's the thinking on how to handle "timezoned" appointments in
Evo vis-avis timezoneless appointments in the Palm Datebook?  And can I
force Evolution to treat a given appointment as timezoneless (ie, it
won't chnage the time on me when I change the system timezone)?

Right now you can't, but you could file it as a feature request.  As for
the thinking behind it:

There are two ways to view appointments in different timezones, relative
to your "home" timezone or relative to the timezone they are in (the
floating time you refer to above).  The problem is that you want one or
the other depending where you are. ie.  If you have a meeting scheduled
with the west coast office but you will be in your east cost "home"
timezone you want the time relative to your home time zone.  If you
actually flew to the west coast office you would probably want in
relative to that timezone.  The added difficulty is events that start
and end if different timezones which, if you used floating time, could
end before they start.  So basically I chose one way (which avoids the
different timezones for start and end time problem) and went with it.

-JP
JP Rosevear                             jpr ximian com
Ximian Inc.                             http://www.ximian.com