[Evolution] mbox.ev-summary & mbox.ibex re-creation

Ok this is not 100% my fault but I'm trying to be creative to recover from it.... :-)

I started using evolution a few snapshots back, around release .15.  Recently when I was using .16.99 it
stopped starting up correctly, one of the following now happens on startup:

1.  Splash screen hangs ( nothing more happens)
2.  Successfully gets past splash & then mail works for a second or two then hangs.

I tar'd the original evolution folder and have been messing around with the ibex & summary files.  When I
leave the ibex files alone (btw, what are they?) and delete all of the summary files it always starts
normally but I cannot access any of my mail (on the first start following the delete).  I then look to see
how many summary files were generated & it ranges from 15-28 or so.  If I then quit and restart it usually
displays symptoms 1 or 2 from above.

I guess the real question is:  I think evolution somehow corrupted my summary files, (OR some other
configuration file).  Is there a tool, or documentation so I could write a perl script, or some way to check
the validity of these files and put everything back into the proper format.

I've since updated to .16.100 and it displays the same symptoms.

On another note I would like to know how to manually create valid folders.

Please help,

Tristan