[Evolution] Evolution and i18n

To what extent is Evolution equipped to handle non-ISO-8859-1 charsets?
What do I have to do to be able to view and write messages in
non-ISO-8859-1 encodings?

Character A4 in ISO-8859-15 is the Euro symbol. If I view a message with
Subject: =?ISO-8859-15?Q?=A4?=
I see
Subject: _
in the header part of the preview pane.  If I choose a font in encoding
ISO-8859-15 for the HTML viewer (in the Gnome control center), I get the
Euro sign, but then presumably I can't also see the ISO-8859-1 character
A4 in an ISO-8859-1 encoded message or string.

In the header pane, the subject displays as the ISO-8859-1 character A4,
the currency sign, regardless of what font I choose, and despite the
fact that it's an ISO-8859-15 encoded string.

So it seems to me that for displaying, Evolution only works right if the
encoding is ISO-8859-1.

Is it at all possible to generate a message with non-ISO-8859-1
encoding? Setting the locale doesn't seem to do it.  If you reply to a
message from a sender whose full name is an encoded string in a
non-ISO-8859-1 charset, it just gets converted to ISO-8859-1.

-R