Re: [Evolution] src rpm and code hacking

On 18 May 2001, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:

1) I'd like to rebuild the ximian evolution rpm to allow palm pilot
conduits.  Unfortunately I can't find the src rpm anywhere (tried
ximian.com and rpmfind.net) and the source doesn't come with a spec
file.  Could someone point me to one or the other?

  Our build system doesn't use specfiles.

  Maybe you could just wait for the newer snapshots.

No kidding.  So there aren't any src files?  Hmmm.  Well, if the newer
snapshots will have this enabled, I'll wait.  On the other hand, if I
actually do any hacking on the code, I'll need the source anyway.

Is there a todo list somewhere?  Or do you just browse through
bugzilla and pick something?  Something very easy in my case.

2) I'm giving some serious thought to hacking on the code and before I
begin I need to know what the plans are and where what I may do will
fit in.  For instance, what are the future plans for the
Executive-Summary?

  The Executive Summary will be replaced with a simpler component with a
hardcoded layout, rather than the current hyper-configurable view.  (The
hyper-configurable one will probably come back again at some point after
1.0, but we have decided to drop it for now.)

Ah.  I assumed that the Executive Summary would be the way that
components related to ongoing projects would be grouped together in
one place.  For instance, all mail, appointments, tasks, contacts,
memos ("Hello, world") and URL's (local and Internet) in one category
could all be grouped in one Executive-Summary view.

Or do you guys have another way to do this in mind?  For instance,
virtual folders that can contain any or all of the above (not just
E-mail).

Either or both of these would be extremely useful in organizing my
work in the PIM.

Tom
--
Quote of the day for May 18th, 2001
The youth gets together the materials for a bridge to the moon, and