Re: [Evolution] [off-topic] sblive and esd?

Never mind.  I compiled esound with --enable-alsa=no, and esd
starts up now.  The only problem now is that it won't play Gnome
sounds, not even if I start it manually.  Stupid thing.

Dan

I know this is off-topic, but I'm not on any other list
that I can ask this, and I'm hoping someone can give me a
quick fix...

I just built a system (Athlon 1.2G, Abit KT7A, SBLive
value).  The problem is that esd does not want to start.
I've tried everything I can think of.  I'm using Mandrake
8 beta 1 and compiled Gnome from source (some CVS).
Sound in general works fine (KDE has no trouble, and I
can play tuxracer with sound), but for some reason esd
just doesn't want to work.  I've tried compiling sound
support as a module and directly into the kernel.  Can
someone point me to a solution?

Here's what esd tells me:

audio_alsa: no cards found!Audio device open for 44.1Khz,
stereo, 16bit failed
Trying 44.1Khz, 8bit stereo.
audio_alsa: no cards found!Audio device open for 44.1Khz,
stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 48Khz, 16bit stereo.
audio_alsa: no cards found!Audio device open for 44.1Khz,
stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 22.05Khz, 8bit stereo.
audio_alsa: no cards found!Audio device open for
22.05Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 44.1Khz, 16bit mono.
audio_alsa: no cards found!Audio device open for 44.1Khz,
mono, 8bit failed
Trying 22.05Khz, 8bit mono.
audio_alsa: no cards found!Audio device open for
22.05Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 11.025Khz, 8bit stereo.
audio_alsa: no cards found!Audio device open for
11.025Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 11.025Khz, 8bit mono.
audio_alsa: no cards found!Audio device open for
11.025Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 8.192Khz, 8bit mono.
audio_alsa: no cards found!Audio device open for
8.192Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 8Khz, 8bit mono.
audio_alsa: no cards found!Sound device inadequate for
Esound. Fatal.

TIA,
Dan