[Evolution] Bugs 4858 and 4859

Heya.  Tried finding you on the last few evo bug days on IRC, but always
managed to arrive when you were away from your desk.

I wanted to have a chat with you regarding bugs 4858 and 4859, which I
submitted and you resolved as WONTFIX.  I was hoping to get a little
explanation of your comment:

"There was a discussion about this type of thing and we decided that we
won't do it for the simple reason that filters should NOT modify mail
- incoming nor outgoing."

and see if we could come up with a way to address the underlying need
within the bounds of that discussion (which I clearly wasn't privy to).

Quick summary of the bugs for folks tuning in at home: I proposed that
the filter interface be able to affect attributes of outgoing mail -
specifically, PGP signature/encryption status and envelope information
(from address was my example).  The supporting rationale was that I have
send-hooks in mutt that accomplish these sorts of behaviors, and they're
very powerful - they allow me to have mutt turn of PGP signing for
messages bound to mailing lists, and to switch my from address when
sending to mailing lists that will only accept submissions from specific
addresses.

I think I can understand the idea that filters shouldn't directly affect
incoming mail, but I'm not sure why filters shouldn't directly affect
outgoing mail.  Who, or what, are we protecting the user from?

In the end, I don't really care if what I'm suggesting is tied to the
filter interface - that just seemed the most logical and intuitive place
to put it.

--
   Dan Berger [dberger ix netcom com]
   http://home.ix.netcom.com/~dberger

   "If you can't explain it to an 8-year-old, you don't understand it"
                                        --Albert Einstein
    A982 E6B1 CB2F 7A49  843A 9297 DA73 4371  1F54 8D0C