Re: [Evolution] imap with ssh???

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 01:25:56PM +0200, Steffen Mann wrote:
By any chance, can I access an imap server with ssh only logon? The server
will not let me in without ssh? Any chance to activate this in evolution?
BTW great programm, thanks to the effort of everyone!!!

Assuming that they are running an IMAP server that you can only access
from that machine, then yeah, you can do this easily with ssh
port-forwarding.  This should be something like
     ssh -L imap:localhost:imap account themachine com

This means forward anything attaching to your machine at the imap port over
the ssh connection, then route it to the imap port on "localhost" on the
far side.  Now when you set up evolution, treat your own machine as your
IMAP server.  Note that when you kill the shell account, you kill the
tunneled connection as well.

man ssh for more information.   You can do almost anything with
port-forwarding... I also recommend you check out stunnel.  With a good
sense of how to use these network problems just seem to melt away...

Bret