Circuits: Editing Your Home Memories

Title: NYTimes HTML E-Mail
  Search NYTimes.com Today's News Past Week Past 30 Days Past 90 Days Past Year Since 1996

Thursday, July 5, 2001
Customize This E-Mail

IN THIS E-MAIL
Editing Your Home Memories

You've Got Too Much E-Mail

State of the Art: Portable Keyboards Let You Write Anywhere

Also in Circuits: A New EBay Feature

How It Works: Giving Diabetics (and Their Fingers) a Break

What's Next: Ideas Percolate in a Virtual Laboratory

Sports Technology: Golf Hand-Helds for the Gallery

Game Theory: Gee Whiz. Must I Keep Slaughtering?

In the News: Net Air Travel Bargains Just Get Better

Editing Your Home Memories

I'm getting to be a pretty good liar.

It began innocently enough. I started using Apple's iMovie software to edit my camcorder footage about two years ago. I was really excited about the program's ability to slice, dice and rearrange the scenes. Once I'd edited out the boring, poorly lit and inaudible shots, I knew I had tightly edited, highly entertaining home movies that friends and family would actually be eager to watch.

You can't really blame me for the first bit of deception. I taped our two-year-old son riding a kiddie train. Unfortunately, he'd been cranky and uncooperative for much of the shoot. I edited out that unpleasant portion and used only the segments I'd shot after he cheered up.

True, my movie would no longer reflect reality. I had, in effect, rewritten history, violating the idea that a camcorder captures our real-life experiences. Still, I didn't think friends and neighbors would want to watch a two-year-old having a hissy fit.

Next, I edited together footage from three different shots: One that I'd filmed from inside the train car looking out the window, another I'd shot of my son's face next to me and a third I shot from the sidelines as the train rolled by. By cutting together these three sections of tape, I created what looked like a single ride around the tracks that had been professionally filmed with three different cameras. Of course, that impression was a lie -- but a harmless one, I was sure.

These days, I've lost all sense of video guilt. If I can create a great moment by shuffling around events, I'll do it. If a funny scene plays better when I drop in shot of a listener's reaction that wasn't even filmed the same day, I go for it. And by dropping a happy Vivaldi recording underneath the video, I can make a stressful, leaky-diaper, screaming-baby day seem like one of the most sunlit, joyful days on earth.

Everyone's home movies are selective, of course. Nobody bothers to film the quarrels, the whining or the boring parts of our lives. But programs like iMovie give us to tools to distort reality to even more ridiculous extremes. We're encouraged by the marketers to make Hollywood shorts out of our home-movie footage. But Hollywood movies are understood to be escapist fantasies, not a record of our real lives.

These days, friends and family really do like watching my (edited) home movies, and why not? What they see are hilarious, orchestrally accompanied, seven-minute highlight rolls. For the moment, I'm not losing sleep over it. I keep the original footage just in case my kids grow up and want to know what life was really like. But in the age of iMovie and Photoshop, increasing numbers of people are freely touching up their photos and movies, creating a past that never was.

On the other hand, maybe there's nothing wrong with that. We've got enough to worry about in the present and future. Maybe it's just as well we edit the past so that it, at least, looks rosy.

Visit David Pogue on the Web at DavidPogue.com.

Enjoy a free 30-day trial offer of our Premium Crossword Puzzles.
Subscribers have access to today's New York Times puzzle and over 2,000 archived puzzles, including acrostics. Premium Crosswords has a $19.95 annual fee.

ALSO THIS WEEK:
You've Got Too Much E-Mail
E-mail in-boxes are bursting. Why can't users just say 'delete'? As e-mail has taken over both work and personal communications, there are more and more electronic shards out there for people to agonize over.

Untangling the Online Gaming Web
As game design has improved, gaming sites have grown more accommodating and home computers have gained in speed and power, playing online is becoming more popular.

State of the Art: Portable Keyboards Let You Write Anywhere
A few tiny companies are making portable PC's that are cheap, simple, rugged, light, amazingly power-stingy word processors. Now, these aren't traditional laptops by any stretch; they're more like glorified keyboards. Why didn't somebody think of this sooner?

Also in Circuits: A New EBay Feature
A site that lets you "invest" on news; Defragging a disk; A leaner hand-held from Casio.

Game Theory: Gee Whiz. Must I Keep Slaughtering?
Zone of the Enders, developed by Konami Computer Entertainment Japan West and available for PlayStation 2, adds a new feature to video games: guilt.

How It Works: Giving Diabetics (and Their Fingers) a Break
A new device worn on the wrist can help diabetics monitor their glucose levels and save them from the painful practice of drawing blood from a finger many times a day.

What's Next: Ideas Percolate in a Virtual Laboratory
Traditionally, scientists from different institutions work together by phone (including conference calls), fax and e-mail. But now some scientists are trying to coordinate their research in laboratories linked by the Internet.

Sports Technology: Golf Hand-Helds for the Gallery
Palm recently formed a partnership with the PGA Tour to integrate its hand-held technology into Tour events in the hope of winning over tour players, weekend duffers and even those who set the rules of golf.

In the News: Net Air Travel Bargains Just Get Better
The bargains available to shoppers on the Internet are becoming scarce in all but one place: the sky. More than almost any other industry, airlines are still pushing their customers to buy online and are willing to reward them for doing so.

About This E-Mail
You received this message because you signed up for the New York Times weekly Circuits e-mail. To change delivery or format options, change your e-mail address, sign up for other newsletters or unsubscribe, go to http://www.nytimes.com/email. Suggestions and feedback are welcome at feedback nytimes com

How to Advertise
For information on advertising in e-mail newsletters with The New York Times on the Web, please contact Alyson Racer or visit our online media kit.

Copyright 2001 The New York Times Company Powered By

--=-ijb/C6REKAKpKwRe1Qad--