Re: [Evolution] Contact Editor GUI problems

On 25 Jan 2001 13:47:13 +0000, Ross Burton wrote:
Hi,

I've started playing with the Contact Editor and have found some GUI
problems:

1) all of the drop-down list boxes (i.e. email, phone number, mobile
etc) appear as a list of check boxes, when an option list would be a
better choice.

I have some ideas about how to change this.

2) All contacts have a birthday and anniversary of the current date by
default - there should be no entry here by default.

The main problem with this is I'm not sure how to do this.  This is a
built in gnome widget and I'm not sure if it's possible to have no entry
by default.

3) If I press "Address..." the the Country drop-down list, I get a
choice of "America", "Canada" and "Finland".  Normally us non-Americans
get annoyed with "USA" and "Rest of World", but this takes the biscuit!
Either no drop-down or a full list, somehow cunningly sorted so that
common entries (i.e. based originally on where the user is and other
common choices (UK, USA, Germany, Japan etc), but adapting itself to the
other countries in the address book).

I'm 100% willing to change this.  I just threw in those values when I
was writing the dialog as to have something to test.  Send me a list of
countries and I'll put it in.  If you have some idea how to determine
the users current country so that we can list it first, I'd love to hear
it.

As has been said, the message editor needs to have auto-completion from
the address book when typing in names. Entries that are from the address
book should be in a different style (either underlined/bold/different
colour) so that known contacts and just-typed-in contacts can be
recognised.

This is currently being worked on.  Said contacts will be underlined.

Thanks for the mail,
    Chris