[Evolution] All characters garbled with an iso10646-1 font available

Hi,

(This bug was submitted to Ximian's Bugzilla, but apparently
no one noticed it -- it's bug id 1294)

Reproducing the bug:
1. Get XFree86 4.0
2. Make sure you Load "freetype" in your XF86Config.
3. Download and install Microsoft's Web Core fonts
(http://www.microsoft.com/truetype). You might use 'cabextract' to extra the
EXE files (can be found on Freshmeat.net).
Alternatively, you can get those from a Windows installation.
4. Run 'ttmkdir' wherever you unpacked the fonts.
Afterwards, edit the 'fonts.dir' file, copy on of the lines and change
'iso8859-1' to 'iso10646-1'. (so that you'll have the same fonts
with an iso10646-1 encoding available -- and yes, those TrueType
fonts are originally in a Unicode character set, even though they
don't represent the whole Unicode range).
5. xset +fp /true_type_fonts_dir
6. Run Evolution. Watch it find iso10646-1 fonts. Watch it display empty
squares instead of fonts.

This bug is a major problem for me, since I work in the KDE 2
environment, where the localization files (.mo) are in UTF-8
(unlike GNOME applications, where they are in local ISO8859-X character
sets) - so for localized applications and Unicode menus and edit boxes
(which Qt 2 provides), you have to use an iso10646-1 character set
with iso10646-1 fonts available.

--
Best regards,
Ilya Konstantinov