[Evolution] Re: [Evolution-hackers] Feature request summary 1/27

On 28 Jan 2001 16:54:26 +1030, Not Zed wrote:

- Evolution should not collapse mail threads with new unread messages in them.
(Christophe Lambin <clambin easynet be>)

it only collapses threads the user wanted to collapse.  Does this mean
it should uncollapse some automatically? that behaviour seems erratic at
best.

- New unread messages added to hidden threads should remain hidden.
(Rodd Clarkson <rodd redfishbluefish com au>)

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean, this is what it does now?
Isn't this opposing the one above?

I think the difference is is between "collapsing mail threads" and
"hiding mail threads". I think the first request is saying "For all
threads collapsed in the message list (those messages are not hidden),
Evolution should expand them if new messages are added to the thread."

The second one is saying, "If the threads are hidden (ie. they're read,
so hide read messages will hide them), and new unread messages are added
to these hidden mail threads, these new unread messages should also be
hidden."

Like I said in the summary, the current message list beheavior (wrt
message deletion, vfolder, threads) is a bit 'erratic'. I think it'll be
good to determine a good set of consistent rules ASAP.

- Tooltips on message list icons.
(Brian Grossman <brian SoftHome net>)

Groan, what about just killing all tooltips, thats a feature request too
from a lot of people.

Personally, the tooltips never bothered me too much, but I would think
tooltips only on the field headers themselves (the draggable widgets,
not the per icon on the message list) would be nice and not too
intrusive.

- I think it's a better idea to have the '!' field be the 2nd from the
  left instead of the 3rd by default. It makes it harder to
  accidentally tab on the field.
(Duncan Mak <duncan ximian com>)

Personally i think it shouldn't even ber there by default, it wastes a
lot of space.

Again, something to be best determined ASAP.

- Like the '!' bang column, the ability to add other tagging critirias.
(Adrian Custer <acuster nature berkeley edu>)

Hrm, such as?

The example Adrian gave me is this:

Say I get a bunch of job offers, I can mark them all week, and at the end of the week,
I can do whatever I need to do to this particular set of messages.

I saw this and thought that it would be a nice tagging feature. It would
be helpful for me for tagging mailing list messages for the feature
request summaries. Currently, I use the '!' field, but I also use it for
other  mail too. WIth this, I can assign a 'work' field, and tag the
messages accordingly. Defeinitely an 'advance' feature, I guess.

- Toggle for temporary disabling/enabling mail filters.
(Joaquim Fellmann <joaquim mail dotcom fr>)

What is this for?  On a per-filter basis, or just all filters basis?

The quote from Joaquim's mail is such:

I thought about ability to enable/disable filter rules. I can think of some cases where I would like to
disable a rule
temporarily (for the next check for new mail) instead of deleting it.I'm not sure but I believe this the
way Outlook work.
For each rule you have to tell if it should be enabled or disabled.

I guess it might be nice to have checkboxes next to each filter in the
'Message filter' dialog to enable/disable particular filters.

- Filter rule for 'Junk mail sender list' (like Outlook)
(Scott Dixon (scott metaphorics com>)

Whats that?  "like outlook" doesn't mean anything to me.

Scott's words:

I use the "add to junk mail senders list" feature of Outlook a lot
(sadly) and would find that (available as a right click menu item) to be
a great timesaver.  I can ge the same effect in Evolution, but with a
lot more mouse clicks.  Best thing would be a right click option to add
the sender to the junk mail rule (move to junk mail folder) and apply
that rule to the message all in one click.

VFolder:

- Expunge messages within vfolder view.
(Duncan Mak <duncan ximian com>)

It already does this, has for a few weeks.

Sorry about that.

--
Duncan Mak
= duncan ximian com - duncan simplemente net - http://www.ximian.com =