Re: [Evolution] Advice

"Dan B. Mann" wrote:

I heard a bit about Outlook
10, and I think it will work better than 97 and 2000, but I don't know
I'm sure it will be better, but perhaps not compellingly so.  I think
that the major improvements may have been delayed until a later version
of Outlook.

No matter what happens to the network connection between client and
server, DO NOT Let EVO HANG FOR anything(this give people a chance to
save their work, even if they end up having to restart EVO)
Sure, but this is really more of an OS problem anyway.  Windows is too
dependent on it's network connection to keep functioning.  In Linux this
is rarely as much of a concern.

Figure out how to implement an advanced editor that administrative &
My guess (not a coder, just a techie talking) is that this shouldn't be
too hard, given the bonobo layer - one should be able to choose the
application of one's choice - AbiWord, GXEdit, Vim, Emacs, ad nauseum -
as long as the link is there through bonobo.

It's gotta have some really cool features for mobile computing devices
This should be interesting to see.

It's gotta work at least more than outlook :-)
How hard can that be?

Consider things like global address books, even though they are server
This is a critical function for my enterprise.  We selected the full
outlook client for all users because OE didn't provide the GAL
functionality that we wanted.

Although, access to the equivalent of a GAL should be available via LDAP
to a directory service.  I would think that this would not be too hard
to code (in fact it may already be there.)

Oh yeah, you better be able to type in a partial name
FWIW - that's a 'nice to have'

When GNOME matures, and we have settled on a standard for our word
processor, I should be able to click "Send To" and EVO knows what to
do
It really shouldn't matter - the issue will be whether the component
knows about bonobo.  I would hope that Abiword would launch the
appropriate Gnome mailer if I wanted to send a document directly from
Abiword.

And last but not least, someday be able to have an "Out of the Office
Assistant" type do dad
Another nice to have.  It should be smart enough to send replies only
once to each sender, and I should be able to tell it to send out of the
office messages to people who are in my domain, but not to other
domains.

I'm excited about this project, and have been VERY interested in this
thread......

Regards,
Tom Cooper
--
Standard disclaimer applies:
This message represents the opinions of the