[Evolution] IMAP configuration with ~/mail

I searched through the archives for an answer, but couldn't find one.

I am using IMAP with Evolution 0.8  I have set up my mail preferences for
a single imap server.

~/mail/ contains all my mail folders.  My IMAP server and my local machine
(both Linux) both use NFS to mount my home directory.  Therefore both my
local machine and the IMAP server can see ~/mail and all the folders.
Only the IMAP server can see my inbox.

If I try to access one of these mail folders it says:

Error while 'Loading "imap://mcorner mailserver edu/mail/oldmail"':
IMAP command failed: CREATE failed: Can't create mailbox node
/home/mcorner/mail/oldmail: File exists

It looks like Evolution is creating local mail files in ~/mail/ on my
local machine and is running into the mail that is already there.  This
has always worked fine on pine by specifying something like:

inbox-path={mailserver.edu}inbox
folder-collections="Mail on mailserver" {mailserver.edu}mail/[]

Has anyone run into this, or is this too strange of a configuration? Also,
I thought evolution stored the local copies in ~/evolution ?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks a lot.

----
Mark Corner
mcorner umich edu