[Jason Pollock <jason pollock eservglobal co nz>] Re: [evo-users deadtrout com] Re: [Evolution] outgoing smtp servers

On 22 Feb 2001 13:37:22 -0500, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
On 22 Feb 2001 13:05:50 -0500, Terry Ewing wrote:
I think there may be an easier way.  You could just remove the SMTP
server
from the account setup altogether.  You could then place the SMTP
server
setting in the general setup menu and use it for all accounts.
There is
really no reason to use seperate SMTP servers for different
accounts.

In most cases, you need to have an SMTP server for each identity (or
for
most identities at least) because a lot of servers don't allow
relaying
which basically means unless your identity's email address matches the
SMTP domain, then you won't be able to send mail. This is why I set it
up this way.

How about we have a compromise?  You have a default SMTP server,
configured in the "Settings", with the ability to override the default
for specific accounts.  That way, you have the single location, with
holes poked for special cases.  The only problem is that now you have
SMTP server configuration information stored in two different locations,
but it does give everyone the flexibility they are looking for.

Jason

--
Jason Pollock jason pollock eservglobal com, jason pollock ca
eServ Global NZ phone: +64 4 939 3377 fax: +64 4 939 3390