[Evolution] using evolution in multiple locations

What method are people using when they need to use evolution in multiple
locations.

I was a pine user, I decided to take the plunge, evolution is great but
I'm missing having all my mail in a central location.

Is there a way to solve this?  How can I properly backup evolution?  I
tried doing an rsync of my ~/evolution structure in a different place
and ended up loosing a lot of info.  I noticed contacts info appeared to
be missing until I killed some processes that evolution appartently uses
and restarted evolution.  Meeting info was lost though and I'm not sure
how to get this back.

I really really wanna use evolution, but I really really need to be able
to maintain info in two different locations.

Anyone solving this problem intelligently?

Thanks
-jeremy