Re: [Evolution] fetchmail

On 11 Dec 2001, Fred Chagnon wrote:
I use fetchmail + evolution, and it works very nicely.

First, set up fetchmail to drop your incoming mail into mboxes somewhere
convenient.  Next, create mbox-based accounts in Evolution that use
"local delivery" to receive messages, using those mboxes instead of the
default /var/spool/mail/yourname.

Downloading mail becomes a two-step process.  First run fetchmail from a
shell, and then hit "Send / Receive" to pull the downloaded messages
into Evolution.

...or run fetchmail with the -d switch (daemon mode) or as a cronjob and
set the Evolution account to refresh that folder as often as the daemon
or cronjob checks email.

I'll vouch for this working flawlessly enough that I just deleted
.procmailrc files on a number of my shell accounts last night, and
reimplemented the filters in Evo.

Fetchmail is running in daemon mode (-d) on my server, polling my
accounts, and delivering everything to my usual user mailbox
(/var/spool/mail/mark).  Evo polls my local server via pop to suck
everything in.

This also gives me the ability to log in remotely and scan through my
inbox with Pine, and leave everything else in the inbox to get picked up
when I get home.

--Mark