Re: [Evolution] Ximian Connector?

On Tue, 2001-12-04 at 01:02, Ibukun Okitika wrote:

The thing is, in a perfect world, Richard Stallman would be in good
terms with every Tom, Dick and Harry in the corporate world. Of course
that's a ridiculous thought. I was reading the article on The Register
about this, and I thought it was generally an excellent business
decision by Ximian. I've seen enough bankruptcies and depressing
economic news (add to that the general mass failures of open source
companies like VA) to know that a GPL'ed company cannot survive in
today's economy. Ximian must make money, and they've decided to go about
it in the best way possible. I think any reasonable person should be
supportive of them in this decision.

Well said.

To my mind, the central hub which makes or breaks an open source company
is its focus on the very nature of service.  If a business seeks to
redefine service in terms of control, then that business practice is
unethical.  However, if the business takes a posture of serving, of
enabling, of fostering the success of individuals and other
organizations, then that company is doing the right thing.  It's a
tenuous balance between the right to get paid for the work performed and
the focus on serving others.  But, properly handling that tension will
make an open source company succeed.  A smart company will be very
sensitive to how its customers (and its competitor's customers) perceive
whether it is serving or controlling.

IMO, the Ximian connector is a step in the right direction.  The problem
is that Microsoft positioned Exchange as a means of control.  The trick
for any company that fights in that space is going to be to break the
control without itself projecting a desire to control nor simply
feigning a service attitude.  It will be very interesting to see (and
watch) how Ximian maintains its integrity while performing this
extremely difficult task.

Well, that's my opinion.

Ximian, I'm cheer'n for ya.

--