Re: [Evolution] IMAP SSL wierdness

On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 15:09, Warren G. Anderson wrote:
On Sat, 2001-12-01 at 18:31, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
Are you sure it didn't
connect *before* you specified ssl?

I had tested the imap connection without ssl first. Then I chose work
offline, I specified ssl, and then went back online to initiate contact.
A server log message appeared on my root window (thanks to root-tail)
saying xinetd had accepted a connection on port 143.

This makes sense, you currently need to restart (or disable and then
re-enable the imap account) before it will accept the SSL tag. The
reason for this is because once an IMAP "object" is created, new
settings will not affect it. We may some-day change this so some changes
will act on any currently instantiated objects as well...

I shutdown
evolution and started it again. Again port 143.

Maybe the config setting didn't get saved???

Deleted the imap
account, started over (with ssl selected). Again port 143.

Explain the steps you took to create it this time?

I did some
research on the web, decided that I didn't understand why I couldn't get
imaps to work, wondered if making it the default account would somehow
help (I know, it's irrational), decided to go one better and just get
rid of the mbox account, and then shut down evolution and started it up
again and saw the connection to port 993 pop up. I guess the other thing
that had changed is I had a imap timeout in between.

an imap timeout? huh?

Hmmm ... anyway, I
don't see how a pre-existing connection could have been there (unless
evolution uses some external imap client that runs even when evolution
doesn't).

No, it doesn't.

Jeff

--