[Evolution] Re: [Helix Beta] XFree86 4.0 upgrade

on 5/27/00 4:41 PM, Darrell Pratt at darrellpratt austin rr com wrote:

I installed helixcode earlier this week and it runs very well.  So, in order
to get the rage128 support I upgraded to XFree86 4.0 today.  I got the vid
card, montor, etal working.  I switched the window manage back to sawfish in
the xinitrc file.  But, when I start up into X, I don't see the helixcode
splash screen anymore when I start and I am missing the desktop folders,
botton launcher bar and when I try to save the session it says that it can't
connect to the session manager.  I suspect that is the main problem, but I'm
not sure what the session manager runs as or what may have changed in gnome to
make this all go rather haywire.

X4.0 eh?  Brave soul...

Your .xinitrc file should contain
exec gnome-session

instead of /usr/bin/sawfish

That way a gnome-session will start and fire up sawfish for you.

I tried to be smart and just install helixcode again thinking maybe that would
just reset things back up again but after the files download, it ends with the
error of "can not get lock on database" or something to that effect.

Something had a lock on the rpm database files.  Is there still a rogue
helix-update process lying around?

Pat