Re: [Evolution] Comments on Evolution

Is there a reason evolution dos not use a standard toolbar?

You mean the toolbar at the top or the shortcut bar on the side? The
toolbar at the top IS a standard toolbar. If you're referring to the
fact that you can't drag it out of the window like you can with a
normal toolbar, that's because there was a bug in gnome-libs/bonobo
interaction until recently that would make all of the icons disappear
when you dragged it out of the window. It wasn't until after we put
the snapshot out that I remembered that we were requiring a newer
gnome-libs version now. So it's fixed in CVS, but not the snapshot.

If you meant the shortcut bar, it's quite a bit different from a
toolbar, although many of its features aren't enabled currently,
because there was a major rewrite of the shell just before the preview
and it's not quite done yet. As for it not looking gnome-like, that
will be fixed (making it track the theme rather than always being
Outlook-colored, and making the icons prelight rather than having the
boxes around them).

2) TO button in compose window:

Should this do something :o)  I know it's a pre-breakfast release but I
kind of expected this to look up my contacts...  I bug on my system?

It doesn't do anything in the preview. (Long ago, it brought up a
contact manager mockup thingy, but that's gone now, and the real
contact manager integration hasn't started yet, although it will
soon.)

I know, hack it in yourself :o)  but configurable headders, or a view
header menu item might be useful.

Yup. Planning to do that. (With a right-click menu on the headers to
get "show all", and you ought to be able to configure additional
headers that you want to see all the time.)

And while on the subject, I really like outlook 98/2000's staionary

Well, you'll notice that Evolution can correctly display
Outlook-generated messages with backgrounds and inline graphics and
such ("multipart/related" is the relevant technical phrase). Yes,
you'll be able to generate stuff like that eventually.

I know many think HTML e-mail is the root of all evil

I think a lot of this hate comes from mailers that send HTML-only
mail. Evolution will always send either text/plain or
multipart/alternative (unless it somehow knows that the recipient
doesn't want the text/plain version).

When will [vFolders] be working?  It would nice to see how all the stuff we
have read will look and feel...

A month or so hopefully?

AS many have said already, it's looking real good.  How long have you
guys been woking on it? 3/4 months?

Bertrand started Camel (the mail backend library) over a year ago now.
Miguel and Damon started working on the widgets last fall, I think,
and the rest of us joined in around December or later. (And of course,
the calendar is based on GnomeCal, which has been around for a while.)

Thanks for you comments/suggestions.

-- Dan