Re: [HC Evolution] Re: libole2 -> gnomevfs backend?

Matt Loper wrote:

The long-term solution is to let the user decide
Eventually, we'll be able to provide a choice (that's the linux way
anyway, right?).

Yes it is, it's also Linux's biggest flaw.  Customizability is almost
always invoked as an excuse for not having gotten it right the first
time.

I still think that inventing your own mail store is crazy.  The existing
mail storage standards (uh oh, I used the S word) are far from perfect,
but more than sufficient.

The only reason to support more than one store is for legacy data (and
that's a very, very good reason.)  I've still never heard a sensible
argument for inventing a new store.  "Everyone else is doing it!"

--
Jamie Zawinski
jwz jwz org             http://www.jwz.org/