From: Matt Loper [mailto:matt helixcode com]
Sent: quinta-feira, 30 de Março de 2000 18:08
To: 'Ettore Perazzoli'; 'Michael Meeks'
Cc: 'Arturo Tena'; evolution helixcode com
Subject: RE: [HC Evolution] Re: libole2 -> gnomevfs backend?

Ettore wrote:
  What about efs then?

Is it stable, fast and usable?

  I think the problem with `tar.gz' and `zip' is that they are not
going to be fast.  It's a real pain to update them.

agreed

  But, incidentally, I must say am not very fond of this
filesystem-in-a-file idea myself.  Why not just using a directory?

Localizing Evolution and Wombat related data into a file makes things easier
for a user. They can move a file from one machine to another, and they can
back up that one file onto another machine. We're going for ease of use
here; a single file for storage says "I'm your Evolution stuff", but a
directory says "I have a million files in me, and I'm complicated. Edit my
files and you'll mess everything up. Explore me and you'll get confused."

Likewise, I think although we could store some settings in (say) gconf,
those settings should be duplicated in our file -- again, so that if one
changes machines, and moves their one file, they can fire up Evolution
without problems.

I admit, putting this stuff into a file (rather than a directory) doesn't
make programmers' lives easier. But we're designing Evolution for users
first, not programmers. :)

-Matt