Re: [HC Evolution] toolbar

On 3/28/2000 10:25, Dan Winship at danw helixcode com wrote:

I assume the other components are going to want toolbars too? The
question then is: do we want one Evolution toolbar, or do we want each
component to have its own toolbar (inside the component). One toolbar
per app (rather than per component) seems to be the standard, but
there's really not anything shared between the mail, calendar, and
contact manager toolbars, so...

I think one main toolbar. Then the components would "install" a button to
access that component in the toolbar (we are talking like an icon toolbar as
opposed to a menu bar correct?)

In fact, you can take it one further, each component can install multiple
buttons in the toolbar. For example, the email component could install a
button for fetching all mail from all accounts. One button. That same email
component can install a menu button that lists all the accounts. Now the
user can choose a specific account to send and receive mail. Those of you
familiar with Outlook will see the similarity in my example, but I think the
point is valid.

Component specific toolbars could then be installed on a per window bases.
An email message window would only show the email component tools that you
can perform on that message.

On a side note, I HATE the large icon "warf" on the left in Outlook and I
see it's implemented in Evolution as well. I think it's a horrible waste of
screen real estate. Instead, that "warf" should be a small button bar to
access the needed components. Much nicer and cleaner.

--
Carl B. Constantine             (carl os-s com)    Phone: 250.953.2650
Open Source Solutions Inc.                           Fax: 250.953.2659

     "I feel like a genocidal maniac when emacs asks me if I want
                       to kill 10789 characters."