Re: [HC Evolution] Calendar to-do list

There are calendar programs that use the Islamic calendar i believe
(Microsoft has it in Arabic windows versions I believe). Emacs has it. Thats
the only software I'm pretty sure has it. The important aspect of the
Islamic calendar is the fact that there are holidays. A lot of 'companies'
and stuff that either A) Are based in the Arab World or B) Are dealing with
Arab-World countries would need this kind of functionality (since in the
Arab world we have islamic holidays). Its true that I wouldn't tell
'schedule' anything using an Islamic calendar. But I'd like to see Islamic
holidays for example (which show up in my personal gregorian view).

Its true - most people don't use the calendar but it would A) be a nice
feature to have B) Kind of necessary for the Islamic holidays feature C) Are
we gonna say this same thing to the rest of the other calendars (e.g.
Hebrew?) D) GNOME/Evolution/Helix Code Inc. can brag about it :)

I also don't think its that difficult to code actually. As long as the user
can sync the Gregorian/time_t with the Real World Islamic date - then
everything should be fine? Actually - all other software that does Islamic
calendar doesn't even provide this feature - so its not really essential
(i.e. it can be hardcoded in and changed each year or something)

Do there exist any calendar programs that use the Islamic calendar?

If not, there's probably a reason for that -- it sounds to me like the
Islamic calendar is random enough that actually using it to tell time is
really hard.  So hard that, for practical matters, I'm guessing that
nobody actually does it.  (Not that nobody uses the calendar, just that
nobody tries to do scheduling with it -- people still use roman numerals
too, but they don't use them for doing math.)

I suspect you're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

--
Jamie Zawinski
jwz jwz org             http://www.jwz.org/