Re: [HC Evolution] Calendar to-do list

As another side note, Ali Abdin said he wanted to investigate adding
support for other types of calendars, such as the Islamic calendar.
This is a bit tricky; there has been some discussion and JWZ suggested
looking at the Emacs calendar and some excellent reference material in
a book about calendarical computations.  It is also tricky because
iCalendar only supports Gregorian calendars right now, so we may have
to talk to the IMC's working group on calendaring.

I should be getting a copy of Linux today (so I can finally start putting
code where my mouth is). Anyway, there doesn't seem to be much 'interest' in
supporting Islamic Calendar (let alone 'other' calendars (Hebrew)) in
Evolution.

Yes, Miguel posted saying its a good idea and we need to come up with a
'standard' for doing it (so it can work for all calendars - not just
Islamic). I said "Sure" - listed the issues with Islamic calendar - and then
got no response/feedback from the list. Then again, I understand you guys
are very busy - so i guess you just didn't have time.

Anyway - my thinking was that the PCS should be generic enough to handle any
types of months/days/years. Then for example we could have an 'Islamic View'
a 'Hebrew View' a 'Gregorian view' and even a 'Julian View'. Is that
'feasible' (I haven't looked at the code)?

If not - do you want to come up with some sort of 'generic' definition for
multiple calendars? What I kind of decided with the gnome-pim maintainer
(Russell Steinthal?) was that I could just easily do a cal-islamic.[ch] and
have two 'generic' conversion functions - islamic_to_time_t and a
time_t_to_islamic - The way Emacs does it is very similiar - except 'julian'
instead of 'time_t'. These are just the 'basic' issues :) (i.e. 'basic
support for Islamic calendar support') - Feedback?

Ali Abdin