Re: [HC Evolution] e-cell-combo

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Matias Mutchinick wrote:

Hi all,
For a project I am developing I have decided to use the etable widget,
and I will need a e-cell-combo for it.
I have read the e-cell-text source and (I think) I noticed that to respect
the model/view architecture of the etable an entry is created off-screen
where data is entered and then updated in the actual cell.

This has actually changed.  ECellText now uses an ETextEventProcessor to
do the editing.  However, it still creates a separate buffer to use while
editing.

I guess that just clipping or packing a gtkcombo on a e-table-cell will
break the view/model arch.

Not only that, but it might not buy you very much.  ECellText wasn't using
the GtkEntry for display, simply for data storage and editing.  You would
probably do well to use an ETextEventProcessor as ECellText does.  The
harder part is drawing the combo box and creating the menus.  This should
probably be implemented as separate code.  However, I would suggest
investigating the possibility of using code from GtkCombo for creating the
menus.

I am no expert but I have decided to give this a try, any ideas on how
can I add a combo that respects the model/veiw arch?

The model/view part should be easy.  You just use the set and get
functions when appropriate.  The only part that is really any work is the
display and menus.

I look forward to hearing what sort of progress you make.  I would very
much like to see a ECellCombo and would certainly be willing to make it
part of the main ETable distribution.

Thanks,
   Chris