Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 11:22:49 -0700
To: Jeffrey Stedfast <fejj helixcode com>
From: Ray Lee <ray madrabbit org>
Subject: Re: [Evolution] options on download

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 01:56:23PM -0400, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
you'd have to download the entire message again (because you can't
start
where you left off),

Since you only downloaded the first 10 (100, whatever) lines in the first
place, this is no big duplication of bandwidth. At this point, the user
is already expecting a wait, so no big deal.

this begins to get overly complicated because what if
the user has it set to delete messages off the pop server
after they download? then what?

Easy, you wouldn't have deleted the message in the first place, therefore
it's still there to download again. Through the miracle of UIDL, you'd
even
be able to identify it again without going through any header matchup.
(Though UIDL seems to be only spottily supported, from what I've seen.
Header matchup wouldn't be that much harder to do, and has the added
benefit
of not needing to store any extra state other than the fact that this was
a partial message in the first place.)

you can't just go get the rest of the message...because it isn't there
argh!

<shrug> Well, if you don't want to implement it, then I'm sure someone
will respectfully submit a patch for it. FWIW, this is a common mode for
home users to run in, in my experience.

Hoping this clarifies things a tad,

Ray
--
rblee impulse net ~ ray madrabbit org

--
Spruce: because "User Friendly" is for wusses