RE: [Evolution] CHI'96 paper on mail usability and some thoughts

This is an excellent reference.  I'm going to trim heavily and add a couple
of comments prefaced with, oh, a # sign:

-----Heavily Trimmed Original Message-----

1. heavy mail users use incoming mail as a to-do list and appointment
tracker
(I personally would add "as a reference bookshelf" as well in my case);

#Ditto on the reference shelf, but since 1996 I've moved to a workgroup
calendar (several, actually, from CDE's tool to Schedule+ to Outlook 2000,
please don't laugh).  Emails just don't make an effective appointment
tracking tool.  See last comment re: To-dos

2. filing into folders doesn't work in a lot of cases; once it's out of the
inbox it's off the radar and soon forgotten about; and folder names are hard
to pick and remember;

#I make *extensive* use of Outlook 2000's advanced find feature, because
although I try to organize things logically, I can *never* find mail that I
saved.  In fact, I used to have a special inbox rule (don't laugh, really,
don't laugh) that copied all incoming mail to a special archive folder, just
so I could search in one place...  When it hit 2GB a while back our mail
admins slapped me upside the head...

EXMH has a clever feature which can be enabled -- it watches how you file
your mail in folders, and then applies what it learns to all new incoming
mail.  This would be a nifty ADVANCED feature...

3. users quite often do not delete mails in case they become valuable