Re: [Evolution] options on download

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:

I don't think this should be implemented, it's just silly
I personally prefer it to download oldest to newest (the order in which
they are listed by the pop server)
It just makes more sense, I mean... if we made it download this way, then
someone else might be left unhappy
it makes more sense to me to download older messages first
if you do it the way you suggest, then there may be old messages that you
may not get to retrieve for days/weeks/months/whatever if you don't always
let the download finish (which you don't need to do)

I had no intention of doing anything like this.  I was simply trying to
find out if you can simply grab the headers of the email messages off a
POP server and list those in the box.  Then you can do something as silly
as clicking a checkbox on the message headers that you wanted to download
and then you click a "sync" button or something which will then go to the
server and download the entire message from the server.  This would also
be a configurable option for the user and would not be on by default
because most people have fast connections and don't need a feature like
that (unless they worry about the ILOVEYOU virus  :).

I personally don't see a real downside to this so any opinions and
thoughts on the matter would be cool.

it would also be "un-necessary bloat" in the words of Matt Loper, our
fearless Evolution leader

I don't see this as being unnecessary bloat.  It is not like we're adding
an entirely new module to do this.  We are simply making the current one
more versatile.  At least in theory.  I'm still looking through the
various areas of Evolution code to see if this is possible to do without
bloating the current program but I don't forsee too much difficulty with
it.

but if someone feels it's necessary, here's the simplest way to do it:

send a LIST command to the pop server, record the message sizes for each
message, sort on size (smallest to largest) and then download in the
resulting order

I don't see the point in doing a smallest to largest download when the
solution I'm talking about would be more powerful.

no need to grab a header and no need to check for mime attachments

if anyone feels up to patching /evolution/camel/providers/pop3, feel free
but I don't think anyone here has any intent on implementing that feature

Actually, I'm more then willing to go and implement that feature.  If
anyone wishes to help me prototype this up I would appreciate it.

--
Sejal Patel - CS 1312 STA     "I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
   sejal cc gatech edu        Why so can I, or so can any man; but will