RE: [Evolution] options on download

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Stedfast [mailto:fejj helixcode com]
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2000 7:42 PM
To: Sejal Patel; Tom Musgrove
Cc: evolution helixcode com
Subject: Re: [Evolution] options on download

I don't think this should be implemented, it's just silly
I personally prefer it to download oldest to newest (the
order in which
they are listed by the pop server)
It just makes more sense, I mean... if we made it download
this way, then
someone else might be left unhappy
it makes more sense to me to download older messages first
if you do it the way you suggest, then there may be old
messages that you
may not get to retrieve for days/weeks/months/whatever if you
don't always
let the download finish (which you don't need to do)

you see why that's a bad idea now? it's more important to get the old
messages first than it is to delay downloading the big ones, at least
that's the case for 99.999999% of the users

it would also be "un-necessary bloat" in the words of Matt Loper, our
fearless Evolution leader

but if someone feels it's necessary, here's the simplest way to do it:

send a LIST command to the pop server, record the message
sizes for each
message, sort on size (smallest to largest) and then download in the
resulting order

ok, the simplest way, in this case, is not the right way.  The message
headers and bodies should be downloaded first, regardless of anything else.
Any binary attachments should be downloaded after all of the header and
plain-text mime portions are downloaded.  That way, I can read ALL of my
mail, from oldest to newest, and not have the silly scheduling problem that
you mentioned above.

no need to grab a header and no need to check for mime attachments

Without doing those, you don't know how to download things, and get into
scheduling messes.

if anyone feels up to patching
/evolution/camel/providers/pop3, feel free
but I don't think anyone here has any intent on implementing
that feature

No, not going to volunteer personally, nobody likes Pascal.  8^)
        Greg