Re: [Evolution] Configure problems

Steven Day wrote:
Hi.. I am attempting to compile Evolution .3 and have run into a problem in
the configure script...I only have a vague output from it because i am not
at my computer right now but it is at the point after it looks for pisock
and when it looks for xmlNewDoc it tells me

cannot link sample xml program...

is there something i am missing....i have all the required libraries (i
think) for compiling evolution...If anyone has any ideas on how to get
around this and get a solution to this problem please don't hesitate...

I am also having this problem.  I'm not sure that our problems are exactly related, but here are the last few lines in the config.log file where it fails:

configure:6558: checking for xmlNewDoc in -lxml
configure:6577: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall -Wunused  -I/usr/include -DNEED_GNO
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lasound
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:
#line 6566 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char xmlNewDoc();

int main() {
xmlNewDoc()
; return 0; }

As you can see it can't find libasound.a or libasound.so (I think)  I have looked around and don't seem to have them, nor do I know where to get it.  supposedly from RPMfind, the alsaplayer package contains it, but it doesn't appear to to me... I still have the same problem after I install it anyway...  I can't for the life of me figure out how -lasound is getting into the script, so I can't even take it out.  Oh well, I hope that helps you.  I know I am stuck though...

--
Gerrit Padgham
Systems Administrator