Re: [Evolution] IMAP nits.

[comments below]

On 25 Jul 2000, Jon K Hellan wrote:
Date: 25 Jul 2000 10:58:34 +0200
To: evolution helixcode com
From: Jon K Hellan <hellan acm org>
Subject: [Evolution] IMAP nits.

This is looking good. A few nits, though:

I tested IMAP with the U Washington server on my local system.
To make my unix folders in ~/Mail show up as IMAP folders, I had to
enter "//home/jk/Mail" as path. The extra / can't be right.

You don't need to specify the full path, you can setup your source as:
source=imap://user host/Mail

that will work, and remember: the first '/' is a separator and NOT treated
as part of the namespace, that's why you found you needed "//"

Oh, hmmm - you probably did this through the editor - ok, the editor is
"broken" as it does need the first char to be a /, I'll have to see if I
can't get it so that is automagically assumed

I had to stop and start Evolution for the configuration to "take".

The IMAP INBOX no longer showed up when I set the path. I guess the
path is intended to be the personal namespace as specified in RFC
2342. If so, this is a bug. RFC 2342 specifies that INBOX must appear
within the personal namespace.

I don't see why it souldn't show the INBOX... always works for me

I tried to add another mail source with no path to get at INBOX. But
then the original mail source had disappered next time I started
evolution.

This is because Evolution can't handle more than 1 server right now (this
will change in the near future)

With no path, evolution asks the server to list all files on my
account. There's a lot of them, so there should be a limit. (I guess
you are planning to add the "only list subscribed" option at some
point, but a limit would be useful anyway, or at least a way to tell
it to stop.)

Yes, currently it's just using a LIST instead of an LSUB command, until we
have a way to subscribe in the UI, I will probably leave it as LIST

Tha mail source type is called IMAPv4. In fact, from reading the code
it looks like Evolution only supports IMAPv4rev1. IMAPv4 is an
obsolete variant which nobody uses - except my wife! I guess I can
come up with some code for plain IMAPv4 if there is any interest - I
have contributed IMAPv4 support to mutt in the past.

Yes, I'm basing this on IMAPv4rev1
I could probably add support for v4 also

Jeff

--
Spruce: shit happens