[Evolution] Looking good, but a mail question

OK, so I just spent a few hours downloading and compiling Evolution and
related utilities from CVS on a woody system, and it's looking pretty
slick compared to 0.0 (the last version I tried). However, I have a
question.

I chose to import my ~/mbox file, which was in and of itself pretty
stupid, since I know it's not all stable yet. However, what i didn't
realize was that, upon checking my mail, it would remove all mail from
~/mbox. OK, I'll just copy the mailbox Evolution creates back to ~/,
right? Well, the mbox file Evolution made looks normal, but neither mutt
nor mailx can load it. So I'm a bit stuck. Is there a way to make this a
standard mbox file again, short of forwarding myself all the mail? Also,
shouldn't be there a way to prevent the clearing behaviour in the first
place? Not that I don't mind using Evolution to read my old mail, but
I'm a bit wary of using a pre-alpha program for that.

Oh yes, and apologies if this message comes across odd-looking, it's my
first attempt at sending mail with Evo.

--
 - Joe "piman" Wreschnig <piman pfnet org>
   http://sacredchao.net