Re: [Evolution] Problems with mail display

Actually, debian woody and gnome doesn't go well along without the
proper locale definition. I don't know if that will also happen with
potato (that hasn't yet go through the locales+libc reestructuration)
Try to define:
export LC_ALL=fi_FI
in the /etc/environment file (if it does not exist, create it by root,
but make sure it is read enabled)

Yep, this I tried earlier also. output of locale:
LANG=C
LC_CTYPE="fi_FI"
LC_NUMERIC="fi_FI"
LC_TIME="fi_FI"
LC_COLLATE="fi_FI"
LC_MONETARY="fi_FI"
LC_MESSAGES="fi_FI"
LC_PAPER="fi_FI"
LC_NAME="fi_FI"
LC_ADDRESS="fi_FI"
LC_TELEPHONE="fi_FI"
LC_MEASUREMENT="fi_FI"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="fi_FI"
LC_ALL=fi_FI

I don't know where the first LANG="C" comes from, but when I export
LANG="" it doesn't help. Same thing with all the locales I've tried. I
did locale-gen with all the locales I need, en_US,en_GB,fi_FI but, alas,
no hope :/

The GNOME menus change language happily, and actually the only two
places where this problem occurs are
1) when reading mail
2) when replying to a mail
(well, only one remains.. compose works ok..)

One more thing though: when I reply to a mail, the 8-bit characters (and
lines) not visible in that mail magically appear... This might be
because I reply plain-text and the HTML (or whatever) are converted to a
plain text (=working) form.

Well, it seems that the culprit is the GtkHTML plug, but of course I
don't know it's innards at all..

Markus