[Evolution] Evolution NNTP mini hack/howto.

Frank Ramsay wrote:

First I want to say the 0.4.1 evolution is great and stable enough for
me to use as my regular mail reader.

I have one request though, how about a usenet component?

actually, there's a somewhat usable nntp provider already, although it
does require a bit of under the hood action to get it working.

here's how i got things working:

1. Go to the Mail Configuration dialog, click the News Sources tab, and
add a source.  I used news.mozilla.org.
2. Create a ~/.newsrc-<newsserver> (~/.newsrc-news.mozilla.org in my
example.)
3. List any groups you want to subscribe to (the ui will show all
subscribed groups) by putting the group name followed by a colon.  for
example, here's what i put:

netscape.public.mozilla.announce:

if you have an existing .newsrc-<server> file, evolution should slurp it
in just fine (but i'd make a copy of it if you're anal).

4. killev and restart.  all subscribed groups should show up, and
clicking on them will download all the headers and create a summary file
for the group in ~/evolution/news/<news-server>.

---

mind you, this code is very slowly evolving (heh) to a point where it's
complete.  there's no support for getting new articles in a group, and
you can't post yet.  also, there isn't a subscribe ui, so editing your
.newsrc file and restarting is required (edit it after shutting down
evolution).

Chris