[Evolution] Re: [Evolution-hackers] Why are every messages marked read ?

Okay, let me explain how IMAP works.

EXAMINE is only for selecting folders read-only so that you can get a message count, etc - it has nothing to
do with downloading headers.

Now, on to more exciting news... FETCH with any parameters will automagically mark the message as 'read' on
the IMAP server, there's nothing Evolution can do about that.
What *might* be possible is to use ENVELOPE instead of FETCH, but I don't think ENVELOPE will give us all the
info we need. I'll have to check the RFCs when I get back to Boston :)
Another possibility is to pray that the IMAP server allows custom flags to be set, in which case we can have
our own read/unread" flag that we can set/unset as we wish. I think this'd be the best solution, but if I
recall correctly, this isn't supported on all IMAP server implementations.

I suppose one last option might be to keep a local cache? I dunno...
nah, that wouldn't work too well, that'd defeat the whole purpose of IMAP

okay, well I'm off - I will be happy to take suggestions (and/or patches)

Jeff