Re: [Evolution] A few questions, comments, problems

[comments below]

1- I once tried (and failed) to compile evolution from CVS.  It
scattered
a lot of files in my /usr partition (I deleted what I could) and I think
missed some of them... The evolution 0.3.1 preview (from rpms) works
fine except for the compose window which dumps core systematically.
I attached a backtrace to this email.  Could someone help me find what
is causing the problem? Thanks a lot.

We can surely try :-)

2- I tried the new GPG support in evolution.  Works great for encrypted
messages,
will it (or can it already) verify signatures?  Yesterday someone on the
list
said that there is a problem with the openssl license preventing its use
with
evolution.  Is there such problems with the open source PKI stuff from
Mozilla?
(I think it is under the MPL)
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/pki/
Could this code be reused?

Evolution currently can't verify signatures or encrypt outgoing messages,
at some point this will be possible though.
I'm not sure we could use the PKI stuff from Mozilla because of their
licensing (can't link to MPL'd code - see Galeon's issues with linking to
MPLd code)

3- One nice thing that could be done with the gpg support is to encrypt
all the passwords
held by evolution using the gpg passphrase : upon startup, the
passphrase could be asked
only once...

I don't think this is a good idea. What if the user doesn't have gpg? What
if gpg gets removed after you've started using Evolution? Not to mention
it'll slow things down to have to decrypt the password every few minutes
whenever a password was needed.

For those paranoid about passwords being in memory, Evolution will allow
you to enter the password in each time you check mail and then remove them
from memory as soon as it no longer needs the password.

4- Why isn't the ldap support compiled in for the previews?  Is there
also a licensing problem
there?

I'm not sure...

Jeff