[Evolution] php interface to evolution contacts?

I would like to have a php interface to evolution, so that I can have users
update, add, and access contact information over the net (They would also be
a note with the contact such as a status update since their last entry.)

They would log in, and then, based upon their username and password,
evolution would return a list of contacts, and the option to add or update a
contact.

Any suggestions as to how I might go about doing this, or what functions I
should have a look at?

Thanks,

Tom M.
TomM pentstar com