[Evolution] Lost mail (yes yes, i know..)

Hey,

I just gave evolution a go, and had a most horrible experience.
Thats what happens when you assume.

Every time I've used a beta/pre-release mail program, it has left mail on
the server by default.  This makes sense.  So silly me assumed that
evolution would do the same... It didn't.

So now I have some rather important mail sitting in
~/evolution/local/Inbox/mbox.
Fine, I say... I'll just copy it to /var/spool/mail/user, and access it
like that ( i need pine to process it and archive it ).  Whats this ?
Its not stored in mbox format, despite being in a file called mbox ?

Why is it that mbox format isn't used ?
How can I access this mail now ?  I need to convert it to mbox format so
that pine can get to it.  Is this a hopeless task ???

When converting to linux, I had a hard time converting all my eudora mail
to mbox, please tell me this will be easier.  Even converting this all to
maildir format would be helpful...

any ideas ?

thanks,

        / Brett