[Evolution] If Evolution Don't Run....

Hi everyone,

We have a new utility script called verify-evolution-install.sh that
attempts
to diagnose common problems that prevent Evolution from running at
all...
for those errors along the lines of "Cannot start mail component,
aborting...."

If you've **installed** Evolution successfully (with RPM, source code,
or deb's), and
it still doesn't run, please try this script. If Evolution won't
**compile**, the script may still
 help diagnose the problem, but will eventually get around to
complaining about
something.

It's still a pretty early draft so the script may misdiagnose problems.
Please route all complaints
to my helixcode address and ONLY my helixcode address.

If you downloaded source code, the script is located in the tools
subdirectory; if you
used RPM's, retrieve it with these commands:

shell$ cvs -z3 -d ":pserver:anonymous anoncvs gnome org:/cvs/gnome"
login
(hit enter when you are prompted for a password. If this takes forever,
try again;
the anoncvs servers can have off-days)
shell$ cvs -z3 -d ":pserver:anonymous anoncvs gnome org:/cvs/gnome" co
evolution/tools/verify-evolution-install.sh

(The latter all on one line). The script will be placed in
./evolution/tools/verify-evolution-install.sh,
relative to wherever you ran the commands from.

When you run it you should either get a message saying that your system
is properly
set up, or you should get a problem reported with suggested solutions

IF THE SCRIPT DOES ANYTHING IN THE SLIGHTEST BIT ODD, or, needless to
say,
is not helpful or doesn't work or spouts error messages, run this
command:

shell$ /bin/bash -x ./path/to/verify-evolution-install.sh

and send the output to me.

Thanks for your help,
    Peter.

Peter Williams peter newton cx / peterw helixcode com