[Evolution-hackers] newcomers: How should I compile Evolution?

Howdy!

I can bet that (almost) every contributor has a different way to setup the environment, compile and use the fresh compiled Evolution and I'm here to describe the way I do my setup (based on Matthew's setup) :-)

Firstly, jhbuild or not jhbuild?
I like to use jhbuild for a few projects that I use and contribute. But that's not the case for Evolution. As Evolution has a small set of dependencies and usually none of them are bleeding edge, I'd say do *not* go for jhbuild in this case.

So, what are you using, Fabiano?
I'm using these 2 scripts: common and unstable (http://rachacuca.org/~fidencio/evolution/newcomers/).
Both of them are in my $HOME/.local/bin and this folder is part of my $PATH.
Then when I open a terminal I just do "source unstable" and I'm all set to build from the master branch :-).
 When configuring evolution-data-server or evolution I use:
./configure --prefix=$PREFIX, which the "unstable" script defines to be $HOME/local/unstable -- so that's where evolution-data-server/evolution get installed.
*If* I need to build a base library like GTK+, then I use:
./configure --prefix=$COMMON, which the "common" script defines to be $HOME/local/common and that way I keep base libraries separated from evolution-data-server/evolution.

And before running Evolution, what I do is start manually the evolution-source-registry and the factories processes (evolution-{addressbook,calendar}-factory) located in $HOME/local/unstable/libexec/

I do believe this is the simplest way for compiling, using and debugging Evolution Data Server/Evolution.

Best Regards,
--
Fabiano Fidêncio